ECF uses Meta Classes to describe different types of elements, such as Categories, Products, and SKUs, that are used in the creation and extension of the commerce solutions developed using ECF.
What is a Meta Class? A Meta Class is a collection of Meta Fields (or a.k.a. Attributes) used to extend any of the base classes for your needs. For example, if your are settling a digital camera, you will first create a root meta class (or a.k.a. “Element”) and name it “Product”. You can then create a base meta class (or a.k.a. “Type”) and call it “Digital Cameras”. This meta class can now contain a number of fields, or attributes, that describes the product in more detail.
- Login to Commerce Manager.
- Select the Administration subsystem in the left column. Four nodes below will appear in the upper part of the navigation frame.
- System Setting
- Catalog System
- System Setting
- Click on Meta classes and the Meta Classes page appears on the main window.
The Meta Class page shows the following information.
- Element: This pull down menu shows the list of relevant Elements, a.k.a. root meta-classes or system meta-classes.
- Type: This pull down menu lists different meta classes for the Element selected above
- Friendly Name:
- Meta Fields: A list of available meta fields, a.k.a. attributes, is displayed in the second portion of the page. Click the appropriate boxes for the corresponding fields to include them in specific Meta Classes. Click on the link to view the specific configuration for each field.
Follow these steps to create a new meta class in the Commerce Manager.
- Click on the Create New button in the menu bar of the main window. A pull-down menu shows two options – New Meta Class, and New Meta Field. Select New Meta Class in the pull-down menu.
- The following fields will appear.
- Friendly Name
- Description: Description may be added for the specific class.
- Object Type: Pull-down menu enables end-user to select the appropriate Element/Root Class.