Using meta classes and meta classes, it is possible for end-users to extend the meta data of catalog items and order forms.
Meta fields are for adding specific data about an item. For instance, if you create a meta class called "Digital Cameras," you will want to add meta fields that are specific details related to digital cameras (such as number of megapixels, focal length, red-eye reduction support, etc.).
h3. Adding Meta Fields to a Meta Class
1. Go to *Administration > Catalog System > Meta Fields*
2. Click on *New Meta Field* to create a new meta field
3. The Meta Field Edit page appears. There is a wide variety of parameters you can set for the meta field depending on the type you select. || Field \\ || Description \\ || | *Name* \\ | Enter in a system name without spaces or special characters (e.g. "NumberMegapixels," without the quotes) \\ | | *Friendly Name* \\ | Enter in a user-friendly name seen by end-users on the back and front-end (e.g. "Number of Megapixels," without the quotes) \\ | | *Description* \\ | Enter in any additional information about the meta field \\ | | *Type* \\ | The drop-down menu shows the field types you can use for the meta field. The types available are: \\ \\ \- datetime \\ \- decimal \\ \- float \\ \- money \\ \- Integer \\ \- Boolean \\ \- Date \\ \- Email \\ \- URL \\ \- Short String \\ \- Long String \\ \- Long Html String \\ \- String Dictionary \\ \- File \\ \- Image File \\ \- Dictionary \\ | | *Search Properties* | Depending on the data field type selected, you may have the option to set the search properties of the data field. The options are: \\ \\ \- Allow search (Determines whether the field is searchable after a search query) \\ \- Store the value (Specifies whether the actual value of the field needs to be stored in the search index or it can be discarded after it is indexed) \\ \- Indexing option ([tokenized or non-tokenized|http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#What_is_the_different_between_Stored.2C_Tokenized.2C_Indexed.2C_and_Vector.3F]) |
h3. Adding Meta Field to a Catalog Meta Class
1. Go to *Administration > Catalog System > Meta Classes* or *Administration > Order System > Meta Classes*
2. The meta field you created will appear in the list of meta fields. Select a meta class, checkmark the meta field you want to add to the meta class, and then click *OK*.